Why did fleet efficiency become so important?
Increasing fuel costs and excessive vehicle downtime are hurting a lot of transport and logistics companies. That is why fleet efficiency is currently one of the most discussed fleet management topics. It offers huge potential for companies to optimise their processes and increase their margins. Companies need to gain full insight into their processes so that they can find the gaps. Before you are able to identify sub-optimal performance, you need to determine your goals and metrics. In order to determine those, you need data from all of your assets - trucks, trailers, drivers and the back office. Telematics systems enable companies to gather all of this data in one portal. But what are the most important metrics that you should take into account to decide if your fleet is efficient or not?
What are the key metrics to take into account?
We can break the relevant metrics down into three categories: safety, efficiency and compliance. We can summarise them as follows:
- Speeding tickets: how many speeding tickets did the driver get?
- Brake lifecycle: how long does it take for the brakes to wear and tear?
- Accidents: how many incidents was the driver involved in?
- Fuel economy and efficiency per vehicle/per driver
- Asset utilisation rate: what is the average inactive time of the assets?
- Maintenance schedule: how many unscheduled maintenance events took place?
- Fleet productivity: what is the order completion time?
- On-time deliveries rate: how many orders were delivered on time?
- Available hours of service (HOS): how many hours does the driver have left?
- HOS reporting complete, correct and on-time?
Want to learn more about how you can measure all of these metrics?
This blog will help you to understand themetrics you need to measure in order to determine how efficient your fleet is. By analysing these metrics, you will be able to optimise your fleet’s efficiency, control costs and increase your margins. If you don’t have insight into these metrics, you can request a free and non-binding fleet efficiency audit. Our expert will analyse your logistic process step by step and by doing so, he will identify hidden costs and opportunities. Claim your free audit here.